Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Holiday Shopping For A Cause



Holiday Shopping For A Cause
Dear Family and Friends,

I would like to share  an opportunity to make a positive contribution towards an issue close to my heart.  I  was 19 when my family immigrated to the U.S. from Liberia,West Africa. This war torn country I left behind, but which remained in my heart,  continues to exist simply because of the resiliency of its people. 

Currently, Liberia is faced with a new crisis  - the Ebola virus. This resiliency is tested to the limit as people struggle to cope with a situation which has killed so many and destroyed the social fabric and undercut the economic livelhoods of countless more. Women account for 75% of  those who have been infected and died from Ebola. UNICEF has estimated about 1000 children are left orphaned.

I know that many of you have wondered how you can help when the needs are so huge.  I've partnered with a local designer to create a vibrant home decor collection for sale. Proceeds and whatever you give, will go towards addressing some of the psychosocial needs of a few orphaned children, through Africare, which works in Liberia.

I ask you to join me in raising funds for Ebola victims in Liberia on Saturday, Nov. 29th.

 " A small change can make a big difference... So don't be afraid to take a stand"- Ankita Singhal.